Saturday, August 2, 2008

Georgetown to Sugarloaf

Great, great ride today. The steady stream of rain in the morning was a nice change from the heat and humidity of previous weekends. The roads and scenery around Poolesville, Clarksburg, and near Sugarloaf are perfect for cycling. Today's ride featured 4 build intervals that required me to maintain my watts at an intensity just above what I intend to ride at Ironman.
So, it looked like this:
20' @ 200 watts, 10' @ 205 watts, 5' @ 210 watts, 5' easy
20' @ 205 watts, 10' @ 210 watts, 5' @ 215 watts, 5' easy
20' @ 210 watts, 10' @ 215 watts, 5' @ 220 watts, 5' easy
20' @ 215 watts, 10' @ 220 watts, 5' all out effort.

Ride time: 5 hours, 34 minutes
Average Speed: A steady 18.2 mph
Avg. Power 168 watts
Norm Power: 193 watts
Avg. Heart Rate: 159 bpm

Ben and I started our 45' run heading from Georgetown down to the Canal. We stood out in the crowd as we ran downhill through the busy weekend shoppers and tourists in G-Town. I have to make it a point to run along the canal more often. The scenic views were a nice change from my runs along WO&D. I started the first half as easy as I could but I was still holding a solid pace. I picked up the pace on the turn around to a steady tempo pace and was running at a strong clip as I negatively split my run by 1 minute.

No comments: