Wednesday, August 6, 2008

3 weeks 3 days to go...

This is it. My last big week of training. I am feeling extremely fit. I'm in the best shape of my life. My threshold for training volume is through the roof. By the end of this week, I'll have trained a total of 21 hours (10,200 yards of swimming, 35 miles of running, and 230 miles of cycling). I did a 3.5 hour bike workout Tuesday in which I rode 3 x 12' intervals (holding 260 watts) at Hains Point in D.C. followed by 2 x 4' (holding 280 watts) followed by a 30' run. Today, Wednesday, I swam for 1 hour 15 minutes and did 4200 yards. Later this afternoon I ran to the track at Madison and ripped off 4 x 1 mile repeats at 6:40/mile pace. With a warm-up and cool down my run total was 70' minutes or about 8 miles for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm tired but I feel like I'm absorbing my workouts. Little things are acting up in my body (left hamstring, base of my big toe) but for the most part, I'm managing those little nagging issues with ice, stretching, heat and self massage. I have two days completely off in my schedule next week and the first major drop in volume. Just in time for the Olympics: ). Completely off topic here but I am actually friends with Hilary Phelps, sister of Michael Phelps. I spoke with her before she left for Beijing. Pretty exciting stuff.



I'm starting to feel the nerves rising and self doubt wanting to creep forward from the back of my mind. Have I done enough? Am I going to be able to live up to my expectations? I've sacrificed to get to this point. BTW, note to self: I don't think it's a good idea to start dating anyone new while training for something like this. No matter how understanding they say they are about you having to train all day and go to bed early, THEY REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND. If they do...well, might want to hang on to that one.



No matter how experienced or fit you are, there will be a dark point at Ironman where things just get hard. It's supposed to be that way. It's always a gut check, a look inside your own soul, and one of those opportunities in life to find out just who you are and what you're made of. This year I've decided that when that happens, I'll be prepared. I've made myself write down three reasons I'm subjecting myself to this.



1) Validate the time I've spent away from friends, family, opportunities to have fun with my non-triathlon friends.

2) Prove that I can race this distance, not just get through it, by setting a personal record and have a shot at that coveted Kona slot.

3) Prove that I can effectively coach someone to successfully complete an Ironman with confidence.

No comments: