Tuesday, August 26, 2008

6 days and counting...

Oooh...got a new toy for the race today. A Garmin Forerunner 305 wrist computer. This thing is pretty cool for distance running, especially long stuff like a marathon. It gives you your current pace/mile which is going to be extremely helpful during the first few miles of the marathon. You see, you think after 112 miles of cycling that your legs will be dead when you start running but usually they are not. In fact, in most cases you will start running much faster than the speed you intend to hold for the entire marathon in those first few miles. This is where you can either make or break your race. I intend to force myself to slow down for the first three miles and keep the pace a conservative 8:30-8:45/mile. After 3 miles, my plan is to pick it up to a steady pace, 8:00-8:20/mile and hold on for dear life. At one point, this steady pace will become difficult and then my Garmin will be my "whip" as it keeps me on track and on pace for my goal.

My four keys to success for Ironman Louisivlle::
1) The race is about execution not fitness
2) The "race" doesn't officially begin until mile 18 of the marathon
3) Race in a "box" only controlling what you can control
4) When things get tough and you start to question why you're doing this, have one thing to focus on to get you out of that rut. For me that thing is: "redemption." It's been a tough last couple years; relationships, career, questioning the path I have chosen, questioning many things in life. I'm in a different place now, a better place and I intend for this race to be my exclamation point.

I had my last appointment before Louisville with one of my chiropractors, Daniel Hockstra. He worked on my hamstring, IT band, and lower back. He also Kinesio Taped my hamstring. Kinesio tape is the same stuff Kerri Walsh had on her shoulder in the Olympics. It helps to support and aid an injured area.

Tomorrow...I get my race wheels from www.racedaywheels.com My Zipp Sub-9 Disc rear wheel with Power Tap and 808 Front wheel. The Zipp Sub-9 Rear wheel is the first wheel to show negative drag numbers in the wind tunnel and 10-15 degrees of YAW. What does all that mean: it actually helps propel you forward at a certain angle of wind, which equals greater time savings, and FREE speed; )

No comments: