Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dear Kharma Rebate Center...

Dear Kharma Rebate Center...I have spread more than my fair share of good Kharma around lately: helping out all weekend last week at two triathlons. Rescuing frightened, unsure swimmers, guiding them between the buoys and safe shores. Filling up cups of water and directing bike/run traffic to insure safety. Helping out a Starbucks employee who will be out of work for a couple of months due to surgery. Giving a ride to a husband and son who were walking from their hotel to see his wife race. Helping a friend shop for a bike. I've been a good guy and then some. It would be nice if I could redeem it all on Sunday, August 31st at about 7am when I am swimming in the Ohio River at Ironman Louisiville: )

Ah...today. What a nice relaxing Sunday. Well, almost. I still got up early to watch the all female Iron Girl Triathlon in Columbia, MD. I had 4 clients and a few friends racing today and it was nice to be able to watch and cheer for them. This sport has grown so much since I started back in 1997. I could count all the triathletes in the area on two hands back then. Now I see as many tri-bikes as I do road bikes riding around. Thanks to Lance Armstrong and now Michael Phelps, the sport is going bananas with participation. I love it.

I spent today icing, stretching, and doing e-stim on my hamstring IT band. It's feeling good but I might race with a compression sleeve I bought today. I was also busy getting equipment ready and setting aside things I intend to take Thursday morning.

The extended forecast for next Sunday in Louisville is 87 degrees with a low of 67, clear and sunny. 87 is cool for Louisville so I will take it. No word on water temps yet but most of us were counting on a non-wetsuit swim. No worries. I will be swimming in my Blue Seventy Speedsuit that is not that far off to a wetsuit.

It was great that the Olympics were on during these last few weeks of training. It's been so inspirational and motivational. I think folks that aren't athletic are nicer during times like these. We had a few more drivers give us space and not try to blow us off the road during the last few weeks. Hopefully next Sunday I will bring home some gold of my own: )

No comments: